Sunday, May 9, 2010

Each happy ending's a brand new beginning

Wow... I can't believe it's really been a year since I flipped my tassel over and walked under the arch on north campus at UGA. Sometimes it feels like I was in college just yesterday, but other times I'm absolutely shocked at how much I've experienced and accomplished in just 365 days. Looking back on my first post, I can vividly remember how I felt that day, the day after graduation. I knew I was moving to New York a few weeks later but really didn't know much more beyond that. I hadn't yet found an apartment, didn't have a steady job (just an internship), and didn't really even know that many people in my soon to be new city. Although I was 100% sure I wanted to be in New York and knew I would love it, I have to admit I was a little intimidated by the new challenge.

Now, a year later, I couldn't possibly be happier and know I definitely made the right decision. I have the perfect starter studio apartment (which I just resigned my lease for - and at a lower rent!), love my job, and have a really great group of friends to explore and enjoy the city with. I had no idea I'd end up working where I work (since I started out interning at a very different agency, that didn't happen to be hiring when I was looking). There were definitely a few scary weeks/months there that I was worried about finding a full time, entry level position. But after a bit of searching and a lot of persistence, I found the perfect fit for me and can't imagine life anywhere else. Gradually more and more of my friends have moved up to New York (both from home and from college), and I've met so many amazing people through them as well. Life couldn't be better.

I feel like over the last year I've really experienced and soaked up so much of New York, but at the same time am so overwhelmed by how many museums I haven't been to, neighborhoods I haven't fully explored, and restaurants I'm dying to try. When I first moved to the city I thought I would give New York a shot, maybe stick around for a few years and see where things went. Now I've completely and totally fallen in love with it. I seriously have withdrawals when I leave (I'm currently sitting in my old bedroom in Sarasota so really missing it as I write this). I'm so excited for many more adventures to come, and can't wait to see where I'll be another 365 days down the road. I've actually decided (after talking to friends, fam and coworkers) to keep this whole blogging thing going, and started back up on my old college blog. So anyone who read and commented over the year, thank you - and if you want to keep up with my adventures in the city you can do so here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment